Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Sundance

It's hard to believe that four months have gone by, but it's true.  The ski season is over at Sundance, and oh was a season it's been!  I absolutely LOVED being a ski instructor up there this year!  I learned so much--about skiing, and more importantly, about myself.  I had the opportunity to meet so many great people who came up for lessons.  Those kids just made my day!  I had so many great lessons and great experiences that taught me so much!  Each day was an adventure.  
It's hard to pick, but here are three of my favorite experiences:

One day I had a group of four boys, three eight year olds and a six year old.  The six year old could tell he wasn't doing as well as the others.  I was giving him most of my attention to ensure that it would be a good experience for him.  As we were skiing I asked him if he was having a good time.  Slightly frustrated he said, "Yes, because everyday I get to choose if I'm going to have a good day or a bad day, and I'm choosing to have a good day!"  What great parents that kid must have?!  

I taught so many determined kids.  I had a little 5-year-old girl over President's Day weekend who became my little buddy.  She did so well!  She was always happy and willing to try whatever I asked her.  Her parents were great, and I was so sad when they left.  I didn't know I could grow to love someone so quickly.  What a great experience!  Then, on my second to last weekend, a little girl came up to me and asked if I was Olivia.  She then told me that she was Caroline's neighbor back East and that Caroline says hi!  Seriously made my day!  

The season was winding down and there weren't too many lessons anymore.  I taught in the morning Saturday and figured I'd get the afternoon off.  That's always kind of nice.  So, I was standing at line up when I got called over to do a lesson.  My supervisor told me that the student had some learning disabilities as well as a few physical disabilities.  He was ten years old and about as big as me.  Needless to say, I did NOT want to teach the lesson.  I taught the lesson, and I think it ended up being the highlight of my season.  This boy was so determined!  I worked so hard with him, picking him up each time he fell (literally), staying positive, and convincing him that he could do it!  When I started the lesson his mom told me that she'd be happy if he lasted an hour of the two and a half hour lesson.  We made it the whole two and a half hours and he wanted to do more!  I was so proud of him!  When I got into my car, I collapsed.  My adrenaline was gone and I was exhausted, but I had just had an amazing experience, one I will never forget.  

More important than all of my lesson experiences is the friendships I made with the people I worked with.  There were so many great people up there!  Each day I went up, I was so excited to see them!  They always made me feel so good about life.  So many of them made a huge impact on my life and I'm so glad to call them my friends :)  I can't wait 'til I can see them all again!  Sundance was good to me.  I think I'll go back.  


The "Three Musketeers"  Oh how I love these girls!! 


  Last day!!  Ski/Snowboard crossover. What a fun day with some fun people!


3 comments:

  1. Livi! You're so cool! You're such a good teacher! Maybe you can teach me someday how to ski like a real PRO! Or, that might be a bad idea because I'm too stubborn. I'll take a class, and then we can ski together, forever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post Livi! Your three stories are awesome. I'm glad you had such a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED hearing about your experiences! What a great job!

    ReplyDelete