Sunday, June 21, 2015

To: Dads

Dads are great.  I feel so lucky to be surrounded by men who are great dads.  

Let's start with my neighbors.  Everyday as I ride my bike down the street I see at least one dad out playing with his kids.  The kids are laughing and running, shooting hoops or throwing a baseball.  Making memories with their dads.   It just warms my heart.  

Next comes my bosses and people I've had a chance to work with.  I get to be around these men without their kids, and they still speak so highly of them.  Sometimes they're frustrated with their kids choices, sometimes they don't know what to do, but they're always proud of them.  When they are with their kids they are always trying to make the most of their time.  They are trying to be the best dads they can be.  I know these men love their kids.  

My life just wouldn't be complete without my brothers.  I have three who CHOSE to join our family?!  As well as two who are stuck with us by default.  Four out of five of them are dads now, and they are awesome at it.  They are always supporting their kids in their activities, taking them camping and fishing, teaching them to ride bikes, spending quality time with them, and just being good examples.  My neices and nephews are pretty dang lucky.

Grandpas.  Grandpas are like dads on steroids.  They know SO much and have the best stories.  Nothing quite compares to a grandpa's laugh either.  I've been blessed with two incredible grandpas--one who has passed on and one who is still here.  Both are great men who love their kids, grandkids, wives, and most importantly, the Lord.  Because of their faith and diligence, my family can be together forever.  

Being able to associate with all of these dads now, as an adult, has shed a little more light on to just how much my dad loves me.  I have spent countless hours with my dad--around the dinner table, family scriptures, in the gym, in the mountains, in the car, at the school, in the garden, and the list could go on and on...  He's been frustrated with me.  He's been proud of me.  Most importantly, he's loved me.  

So, on this beautiful day in June, I just want to say thank you to all the dads.  You're awesome, and you're all influencing my life in more ways than you know.  

No comments:

Post a Comment