Friday, December 4, 2015

A Day in the Life

Yesterday was just a normal day in the life of Livi.  I decided I needed to document a normal college day.  Nothing too exciting.  Nothing terrible.  Just a normal day.  

     5:30     Woke up and headed to the temple with Tessa to do baptisms for the dead.
     7:10     Got back from the temple, ate breakfast, and got ready for school.
     7:45     Left my house and rode my bike up to campus.
     8:00     My practicum class.  I forgot to bring two assignments to turn in and was given 3 more assignments to be completed by next week.
     8:50     Went up to the student services office in the McKay building to talk to an advisor about changing the semester I student teach.  The appointment scheduler was the guy who baptized me this morning!  He worked some magic and got me in right then!  I met with my advisor, Kelly, and got the low down on what I needed to do.
     9:30     Pumped up my tire at Outdoors Unlimited (those darn flats!) and arrived at work.  At work I worked on giant pads for the walls in the gymnastics room on campus.
    11:30    I left work and headed up to campus to meet some friends to go and get free donuts :)
    11:45    Arrived at the location to receive free donuts with my friends, and they were out of donuts.  A little depressing, but honestly, I shouldn't have been eating a donut anyways!
    12:00    Had my literacy class with Brad Wilcox.  One of my favorite classes.  We talked about teaching speaking and listening.  Then he talked to us about being busy and having a lot of things to do in life.  He talked about prioritizing and how that never seems to work because we're supposed to put God first, but in a world where our jobs and school take up most of our time, that is often difficult.  Next he talked about balance and how that is another hard one, because can we really balance every single thing we need to do every single day?  It's nearly impossible.  Then he read us this awesome book, The Clown of God.  It was so good and it talked about this clown that juggled.  He would juggle all of these different balls, but the most important ball (which he never let drop) was a big, golden ball.  This ball represented our relationship with God.  I loved the moral this old folktale told.  Juggling life.  It's real and it's hard, but if we make sure we keep our golden ball up (our relationship with God), then it won't matter so much what other balls drop.  As we get a better handle on our lives, we can pick the other balls up again and keep trying.  This is one thing I love about BYU.  The opportunity the teachers have to teach us about spiritual topics.  Brother Wilcox is great!
     1:00    Class got out an hour early?!  I went and got everything done that I needed to to change my student teaching date.
     1:25     I ran into Andrew Petersen!  It's always fun to see people you know.
     1:40     I met up with an advisor to talk about my scholarship eligibility for next fall.
     2:00     Math class.  We had a fun lesson on teaching Place Value.  Very helpful.  I also ate my lunch during class.
     3:30     Rushed down from campus and hopped in my car to go and tutor out in Mapleton.
     4:00     Arrived at the first house I tutor at, and helped Kamae with math.
     4:30     Arrived at the Ryskamp's where I helped Faith write a fun persuasive paper and helped Reed with his math.
     6:25     Left the Ryskamp's.
     6:45     Arrived at the WILK for a 4H meeting that was supposed to go from 6-7.  I knew I was late, but I didn't want to miss the whole thing!  I forgot my phone at my apartment, so I didn't have any way to communicate that I was going to be late, and when I got there they were already cleaned up and gone.
     6:55     Went over to the HFAC for a minute to watch part of the dress rehearsal for a concert that a couple of my friends are in tomorrow and Saturday.  I would have just gone to the real thing, but it's sold out!  I just listened to one song, Oh Come All Ye Faithful.  Amazing.  I sat by and talked to a nice boy.
     7:25     I left campus and came home for some dinner!  Tess and I had creamed corn and chicken.  It was delicious.
     7:50     I put together some things for my calling as compassionate service committee member and delivered them to some girls in our ward.
     8:20     Returned from the deliveries (and chatting, let's be honest!) and did some homework.
     8:50     Tess and I headed to our intramural co-ed volleyball game, which we lost :(
     9:45     Faith, Tess, and I stopped by a dance party and shook it for a minute.  I'm a horrible dancer.  We ended up outside talking with Dillon and Andy.
    10:30    We went to a Christmas pie party at our friends' apartment.  Zach and Ty were awesome hosts, and it was really fun!  We got there at the tail end of the party, so we actually got to visit with friends and have a good time cause it wasn't so darn crowded.  I met some new people too.
    11:15    We left the pie party and I came home and did some more homework!  
    11:45     I finally crawled into bed.

Throughout the day I was texting planning a 4H activity, scheduling things for the weekend, etc.  Looking back on yesterday I'm reminded how blessed I am on a daily basis.  I am so lucky to be able to do all of the fun, educational, sometimes frustrating things that I do.  Life is busy and great, and I'm going to just keep on juggling my way through it :) 
     

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post Liv! Sometimes I miss when days like this were my "normal", but my new normal is pretty great too :) AND I loved what you wrote about from your literacy class. I needed that. Thanks! Have another great normal day ;)

    ReplyDelete