Friday, October 4, 2013

General Conference

Every year when General Conference comes around I'm so excited--excited to have an excuse not to work all day on Saturday, stay in my pajamas all day Sunday, and eat a bunch of food!  This year it's a little different.  I'm excited to hear the living prophet and apostles speak to us.  Yes, US.  The things they say are going to be counsel for all of us living in this day and age, facing the trials we are facing today.  
So, you might wonder, why the change in reason for my excitement?  It's because of a class I'm taking at the Y.  It's a Living Prophets class taught by Lloyd Newell, the voice of Music and the Spoken Word which airs every Sunday morning on radio stations around the world.  He has gotten me so excited to listen to the counsel of God's messengers called to direct us today!  Here are some of my favorite quotes we have gone over to help us prepare for General Conference.  

"Our times are turbulent and difficult.  We see wars internationally and distress domestically.  Neighbors all around us face personal heartaches and family sorrows....all face opposition and travail, and only the rod of iron- the declared word of God- can bring them safely through.  We all need that rod.  We all need that word."  -Elder Jeffery R. Holland.

"The main purpose of general conference, the main purpose of this conference, is to sound the voice of warning.  You who hear and are warned must warn your neighbors.  If we fail to warn our neighbors, we all may be lost."  -President N. Eldon Tanner

People.  It's important.

I don't know what counsel will be given in the next two days, but I know that I don't want to miss it.  I mean, 2 years ago in October they announce the temple in Star Valley.  The FIRST temple in Wyoming!  I was so pumped!  Then last October they announced a change in mission age.  What a wonderful announcement!  I'm going to be honest though, I've been praying that there are no announcements that big this October.  I don't know if I can take another one?!

But here's a little video to get you excited for Conference :)  And you can watch it Saturday and Sunday in any language by clicking HERE.  






No comments:

Post a Comment