Sunday, September 21, 2014

The Sacred Valley

I was able to spend this weekend with the Gavancho's and it was great! The Gavancho's have kind of been my saving grace since I got here. Here's the story: Before I left, Karen Thornock told me that her nephew married a girl from Cusco and that I should look up her family. They're members, so I figured I'd contact them about where to go to church. I contacted Eunice (the mom) the first week and she came to the Maximo Nivel office and met me and everything! She gave me the address to the chapel and the meeting time and asked if I wanted to come and eat at there house after. At dinner last Sunday they invited me to come with them to their orphanage in the Sacred Valley. Of course I did! So, Friday afternoon I hopped on a bus to their house. I spent Friday evening talking with Eunice and drinking hot chocolate. It was great. 

Then Saturday morning we were off to Huayllubamba! The whole drive was gorgeous! It's the beginning of spring here so I'm excited to see it in a month or so when it's all green, but the mountains were just so amazing! I loved all the little towns along the way as well. 


Huayllubamba is just a little town as well, and it was so nice to get out of the city! The orphanage was so nice! Right now they only have 12 kids, but they said they normally have more. The orphanage is called Girasol (sunflower) and it is run off of the Gavancho's own resources and everything was built by volunteers. The view from the orphanage was amazing as well! Just look at those mountains!!


In the afternoon I was able to attend the baptism of two of the orphans. What a special experience. I didn't know these two even 6 hours before the baptism, but you could tell they were ready. They just had a special spirit about them and it was so neat to see their smiles as they came out of the water. 


After the baptism we headed back to Cusco. Here's one last shot from a quick stop we made in town before we left. Beautiful. 


I stayed the night with the Gavancho's again last night. They're just so hospitable.  They just do everything they can to make me feel at home. Even though my Spanish communication skills are FAR less than par, they struggle through with me.  There is just a special spirit in the Gavancho's home that reminds me of my own. I love it. So, thank you so much Karen for connecting us. I'll forever be indebted to you! 

1 comment: