Sunday, October 19, 2014

Sometimes dreams DO come true :)

  Around the age of 12 I found out what Machu Picchu was. Ever since then, it's been my dream to see it. Well, yesterday it happened!! 
  I woke up at 4:00 am to get ready to start trekking up the mountain from the town we were staying in, Aguas Calientes. We left the hostel at 4:30 and I arrived at the entrance gate at 5:45. The whole hike I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. I couldn't believe it was actually happening!! I was so close to Machu Picchu. So close to fufiling my dream! 
  When I was finally admitted into the ancient citadel, I was speechless. I mean, look at this view! 


I love how the clouds are just above the ruins. Breathtaking. 

I was able to take a tour of the city and learn a bunch of awesome things about the Incans and the city. I LOVE all of the history I have been able to learn. After the tour we were free to explore the city on our own. And explore I did! I'm pretty sure I went in about every room!! I just couldn't stop! 

This was a rock in the main square. Each point was exactly on with the compass (thus the phone...)



They used those three windows to tell the time of the year based on where the sun shone determined the solstice and the equinoxes. 

Ceremonial rock 

Entrance to the city. 

I was also had one of 400 tickets that day to hike Waynu Pichu Mountain. It was incredible! The hike up is steep and fairly rugged, but not too long. And the view? Absolutely amazing! 


(Waynu Picchu is the bigger mountain there in the background)


I was also able to make the short walk to see the Inca Bridge. The wood is no longer original, but the trail is. 


Right before I had to leave the city I basically ran up to the Sun Temple. It was cool to get that view of the city as well. 


When it came time for me I say goodbye to Machu Picchu I literally almost cried. I was not expecting to feel that way, but I was so sad my experience was ending. Luckily I have a million pictures, and the experiences in my mind. What an amazing day. 


My last look at Machu Picchu. Thanks for being everything I imagined and more!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks amazing! When we did our Mayan Ruins tour, I was also amazed at how they combined their knowledge of architecture and astronomy to determine solstices and equinoxes. Looks like the Incans were equally brilliant. So interesting. So glad you got to fulfill one of your dreams!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Livi! This is awesome! I love all your pictures! I think now I better see this place before I die. It's so green and beautiful! And you're looking great too! I love ya sis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Livi! I love your posts. I'm telling ya, I love vicariously through you. I'm so happy that you are having this amazing experience. I'm totally jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome is this? Sam and I really want to go there some day too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting Liv! So glad you were able to go!

    ReplyDelete