Sunday, February 21, 2016

Trees, Mud, and Waterfalls

I saw millions of trees, walked through so much mud, and saw two beautiful waterfalls.  I've been dying to go hiking since I got here, and a kid from Institute kindly obliged to take me!  I didn't really know where we were going, but he told me he'd pick me up at 5:30 in the morning and to bring a lunch.  I knew I was in for a good day of hiking, I knew it'd be beautiful, but I wasn't really sure what I was going to see! 

First, let's talk about how challenging this hike was.  Mud.  



It had rained the night before, and there was so much mud.  This makes hiking much trickier, at least for this clutzy girl.  I won't even tell you how many times I slipped...haha.  The hike also had very, very steep stretches.  


This picture doesn't quite do it justice, but really, so steep!  They were definitely easier to go up than down!  

Then there were these roots everywhere, because there are trees everywhere! 


Some of these roots were very helpful and gave me a good, solid place to step, others were slicker than snot!  I was never sure which roots were going to be friendly, or which roots would have me begging for mercy?!  

There were also some treacherous stretches of going over slippery rocks walking through the river. 
 

I was SO glad for my Chacos! 

Now, lets talk about how BEAUTIFUL this hike was!  Seriously, look at these views!  I was hiking through a jungle.  How cool is that?!  




Our final destination was this sulfur vent:  


I'm not going to lie, I was kind of bummed that we had just hiked all that way (it was about 8 miles round trip) to come to this sulfur vent?! Anyways, it was cool and I was just happy I got to see so much beauty along the way.  

The sulfur vent had caused everything in it's path to die, and I just thought the contrast of dead and alive was so pretty! 


Then on our way back out JeeVee was like, hey, let's just come over here to eat a snack.  I wasn't really hungry and just wanted to hike out, but I went anyways.  I was concentrating pretty hard on walking through the river when I looked up and saw this beautiful waterfall!  


I was in shock!  It was so pretty!  Then I looked to the right of me and there was another one!  


They are called Twin Falls.  So, we had a little snack, and enjoyed listening to the falling water.  

Here are some more pictures from along the way.  



 I thought it was so interesting that this tree had fur on it?!  I was quickly told that they were thorns and not to touch it!  Yikes!


This huge and beautiful garden was along the way and I just couldn't help but think of my mom and all my gardening aunts, sisters, and cousins and how much they'd have loved it!  


I even got in one of the pictures :)

The hike was hard.  The hike was beautiful.  I'm so glad I had the experience.  

We hiked really fast and were done around 1:00, so I asked JeeVee if he could take me to meet up with the Ryskamp's.  They were going to be going swimming at this place called Pulong Buto.  He kindly obliged, and we actually met up with them on the highway as they were stopped looking at some other sulfur rock things.  I hopped off there, thanked him, and took Yet-yet's spot as a driver.  We headed up to Pulong Buto where we spent the afternoon swimming, enjoying these waterfalls, and eating sweet corn :)




I love good, full days, and the last few have been just that way :) I'm just so blessed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment