Saturday, June 4, 2016

Fitbit Fanatics?!

Back in December, in my string of good luck, I was given this sporty purple watch by my lovely friend Faith. 


Her mom had given it to her and just a few weeks later the buckle on it broke.  She called the fitbit people and they told her they'd just send her a new one?!  At school a few days later she asked me if I wanted it.  I knew that fitbits were kind of expensive and was pretty shocked!  She insisted that all of her family already had them and that if I didn't just take it she didn't know what she'd do with it.  So, I was gracious (hopefully!) and accepted the fitbit with the broken buckle.  I wasn't too worried about getting it fixed up any time soon, but I decided to tell my boss Wayne (he and his wife got these things about a year ago and he's lost almost 50 pounds and his wife has lost over 70 I think) about it.  He was so excited and was like, just go to Walmart and get a watch with the same size band and we can just switch it out! Well, I didn't even have to do that, cause the next morning my boss Lee shows up, pulls his watch out of his pocket, and what do ya know--the buckle ripped right through the leather band on his watch?!  He looked at it and deemed it unfixable.  That's when Wayne's eyes got wide and he asked me where my fitbit was?  I went and grabbed it out of my backpack and what do ya know?!  The buckle fit perfectly!  Later that week I went and bought a charger and I was in business!  


And that's how it all began.  I had NO idea what I was getting into?!  A bunch of my Oberg cousins as well as my mom, Aunt Linda, and Aunt Carol have them and each week we compete in the "Workweek Hustle."  These people are crazy! Most of their daily averages are from 15k-25k steps a day.  Trying to stay in these competitions is grueling!  Luckily I'm an active person and hold my own pretty good in them.  One Friday night the competition was closing and I was about 300 steps ahead of my mom.  I was exhausted and had fallen asleep in the middle of the living room.  All of the sudden I was woken up by the sound of repeated footsteps.  My mom was pacing our house trying to beat me?! So, of course I had to get up and get those extra steps to beat my mom!  We were just walking all over trying to out step each other and finally I was fed up with it.  I grabbed her and tied her to a chair!  Enough is enough!!  haha  Anyways, we've had some pretty entertaining comments and trash talk among the group and it's been a fun way for me to connect with some of my cousins who I would have no real reason to have contact with otherwise.  

Aside from the challenge, it's just been fun to see how much I really move around in a day.  Some days I'm shocked at how lazy I am and some days I'm shocked at how active I am.  Like yesterday.  It was my first day off in a couple of weeks and I really had nothing planned.  So, I decided to try and do a bunch of things!  I got a lot accomplished and I ended up with over 49,000 steps.  Crazy.  My day off and I get a new high on my fitbit.  I really wouldn't have it any other way though.  So, If you don't have a fitbit, don't feel like you NEED to get one, but they are pretty fun to have :)

3 comments:

  1. I got one for mother's day! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got one for mother's day! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! Love the story of you tying Mom to the chair!

    ReplyDelete