Sunday, June 12, 2016

My Room

So, the bedroom in my parents house has been mine since Tyson graduated in 2004.  That's a pretty long time.  I've chosen the wall paint, the bedspread, the pictures, and all of the little things that make the room mine.  This room is a space that is totally ME.  I was putting clothes away and cleaning up a little bit this afternoon and I was reading all of the quotes on little papers and tiles, and looking at the photos, and thinking about the different pieces of furniture and how by surrounding myself by all of these things every day have shaped who I am and who I am becoming.  

Anyways, here's a little "tour" of my room. 


 Here we have the beds.  The room recently became Tessa and I's (at Christmas time) because all of my married siblings felt the need for another double bed in the house.  I'm not really sure why??...  So, now we have bunk beds and I sleep in a cave.  
I made the quilt on the bottom bunk.
My mom or grannie made the quilt on the top bunk years and years ago.
My grandma Teichert made my pillow case.
She also made the baby blanket you can see wadded up in the far top corner of my bed :)  
Taffy made the pillow case on the top bunk.
The stool has my jammies on it.
I recovered the stool last summer.  I got it out of Stan Larson's yard and redid it, but I'm not super pumped about how it turned out.  


Above the bed is this quote.  I really love it.  Taffy gave it to me for Christmas one year. 


This is also above the bed.  This picture was given to me by my grandma Teichert.  It reminded her of Tessa and I, and it basically is.  
Also, I just notice my lovely corsage from my junior prom?! haha


 Now we have my closet.  It is almost always like this with one door open because that's the best place to hang my towel.  I know I have way too many clothes because they don't fit in here very well...
On the open door there is a picture of the Logan Temple and the Young Women's theme.
There is also a quote by President Hinkley that says, "Of all the creations of the Almighty, there is none more beautiful, none more inspiring than a lovely daughter of God who walks in virtue with an understanding of why she should do so, who honors and respects her body as a thing sacred and divine, who cultivates her mind and constantly enlarges the horizon of her understanding, who nurtures her spirit with everlasting truth."  
On the closed door is a picture of me with Mylie and Tel at the airport waiting for Violet to get home from her mission.  


Here was have a collection of all of my things.  
The blue trunk was my great grandma Duncan's that she brought out west with her when she was 16. 
The two boxes hold letters, journals, pictures, and other random fun things.  
Against the closet is a little trinket thing that was a gift from someone in the Philippines.  
On top of the boxes are an emergency lantern, my life quote "It's not all sunshine and rainbows, but a lot of it actually is," and my favorite sister missionary ever!
After the boxes comes a long line of books:
Panoramas from all over the world
Photo album from my summer of DC, Costa Rica, and Alaska
Two children's books, one about self esteem and one about making choices
History of Hugh and Flossie Brady (my grandma Buhla's parents)
Letters from my 4th graders at West Side Elementary
Photo album of photos of just Tessa and I through the years.  She gave it to me for graduation and we just keep adding to it!
Recipe book from my Oberg side  
Photo book from my senior year made by Taffy
New York photo book  
Family photo book
Four instagram photo books
Moab photo book from Kalbie
Spanish/English Dictionary
Farm Animal book from my favorite antique store in Provo
My latest journal
Laying on the trunk are my headphones and my almost finished letter to Tessa.
Then Violet picked up that cool old wooden desk for me for $50 at some antique store.  I love it. 
On top of that is a picture of my family and my globe.
Hanging above all that is the only decoration that goes with me to college: my favorite picture of Christ.  My space just isn't complete without it.  

  This is my "getting ready" area.  It's where the most clutter is.  I always get ready here instead of in the bathroom and I know it has saved me from many fights with my brothers, since I've always shared a bathroom with them.  
First of all, this mirror is the best with the swinging sides!  
On the mirror I have nice reminders and quotes that remind me to have courage, be kind, be diligent, remember Christ loves me, and to like myself.  
The table normally has some sort of hair tool, but at the moment just has perfume and lotion.  
The chair is my favorite.  It was my great grandma Minerva's.  
Tami made the pillow that goes on it for me for Christmas one year.  
The shorts and pants draped over it are work pants that are too dirty to fold up and put in my closet again, but too clean to throw in the dirties :)  
The little dresser thing holds all the things I use and all the things I don't use, but for some reason still hold on to.  
Then my jewelry is all hung up.  
The wall hanging above my necklaces is a board that I literally broke in half with my hand.  We did it at Girl's Camp one year and then painted it and put vinyl lettering that says, "I can do hard things.  The Lord is my strength."  So true.
Then I have my garbage and my clothes hamper.  


The part is pretty cluttery.......
I've got this picture hanging that Taffy made for me for Christmas one year.  The pictures are super outdated, but I really love them.
We've got Mylie, Connor, and Tel back when they were the only 3 grandkids, a picture of me with my fish I caught up in Seldovia, AK, and then Tessa and I kayaking up in Alaska. 
An the lowest shelf I've got a little tile that says "Be strong and of good courage"
The medium one has a picture of me and my dad at a daddy-daughter date for Merry Miss and a tissue box holder made by Norene Thompson.
The tallest box has a pretty framed quote I got for Christmas years ago that says "Daughter, bless your heart for the happiness you put in mine," a box with a beautiful hand held mirror from Nauvoo, and a jar full of my great grandma Duncan's buttons.  
Below the tallest shelf is my small doll collection with dolls from Alaska, Peru, Ecuador, a porcelain doll from my Aunt Linda, and a doll made by my grannie.  
Also, hats and belts.

So, there's my room.  It's amazing to me how much my room is just me.  So much of the furniture and decorations are sentimental.  I realize that I'm pretty lucky to have as many neat pieces of furniture as I do.  The quotes and pictures all have a purpose.  We internalize the things we put around us whether we realize it or not.  I've been thinking a lot about qualities I have and qualities that I want to acquire.  So many of these quotes are about self worth and confidence.  While I lack confidence in many areas, I do not doubt that I am a daughter of God and that He loves me.  I realize that all around my room are reminders of that very thing.  I know that these quotes have become a part of me and have given me confidence throughout my few short years of life.  
It's been fun to take a close look at my room and think about the little things that define me, and if you made it to the end of this post, good for you! haha  

1 comment:

  1. What a fun tour! And what a great room you have! It really is important that we surround ourselves with things we love.

    ReplyDelete