Sunday, June 12, 2016

The Miracle of Mary

After my sophomore year of college I wondered how I was going to go back.  I loved school, but mostly because of my roommates.  They all decided to go on missions and I had no idea who I was going to live with when I returned in the fall.  I was bummed.  

The day I returned home for the summer I got a call from my cousin Mary.  She was heading back to school down there and wondered if I wanted to live with her and two of her mission buddies.  I said yes not knowing it was going to be one of the best decisions of my life.  Here are some of the miracles I have been a part of because of Mary.

I made so many friends because of Mary.  I really realized that last night at her wedding reception.  I was surrounded by people I love and I know most of them because Mary introduced me to them.  


Every since my first day at BYU when I would tell people who I was or where I was from they would ask me if I knew Mary.  They immediately loved me.  


Mary was my first roommate that I had that was super diligent.  She inspired me to be more committed to everything I was doing.


I always want to put people first.  Mary always does put people first.  She is friends with so many and reaches out to everyone around her and makes them feel loved.  


Mary asks the best questions.  When I would see her at the end of every day instead of asking me how my day was, she would ask me what the best part of my day was.  Way better question!  Instead of just responding with "good," I had to reflect back on my day and come up with a good answer.  Another one of my favorite questions of hers was, "What's your favorite thing about ________."  Whether I'd been out with someone or talking on the phone it was fun to answer her question and think about all of the good things about the people I choose to spend my time with. 


Mary is so frugal and thrifty.  I've saved many pennies trying to be more like Mary.


Mary always puts the Lord first.  She always studies her scriptures, prays, attends her meetings, and serves those around her.  You can see it in her eyes, her smile, and her countenance.  She just glows.

Mary got married yesterday and I was privileged enough to be asked to do her hair.  I don't know if she knows how much I really loved doing it or not, but it meant a lot to me.  She was a stunning bride and Ryan is one lucky man!  It was so fun being part of her day. 



Living with and near Mary since I've been at college has been a huge blessing to me.  I'm sure she'll continue to be a large part of my life since we're related and all, and just because she's a great person like that.  I'm so thankful for The Miracle of Mary in my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment