Monday, February 11, 2013

Small town, blonde haired, home-grown girl :)

There are many things that make up my cultural identity.  There are so many aspects that go into one's identity, but if I had to pick only three artifacts they would be: my great-grandma Duncan's buttons accompanied by my Grannie's poem, a picture of Cokeville, and my Young Women's medallion. 

First of all, I am defined by my heritage.  My great-grandma Duncan's buttons along with my Grannie's poem say so much about my heritage.  



GRANDMA'S BUTTONS

Grandma Duncan was a saver,
Of this there is no doubt. 
Everything was plum wore through
Before she'd throw it out.

I recall a woven basket, 
Setting beside her rocking chair,
And every sock that had a hole
Was sure to wind up there.

Many evenings she would spend, 
After working hard all day
Patching socks, or pants, or shirts, 
There never was time to play.

She always used to wear a dress,
And when the front wore through,
The back became an apron--
Or a shirt for me--"good as new"!!

In winter the boys wore wool,
The outside work was cold.
Shirts and pants turned into mittens
After they were old.

Bed comforters were sewn from scraps, 
Then filled with carded wool,
Backed by flannel, tied with yarn,
Our nights were warm when it was cool.

No matter how ragged or worn the piece, 
If there was a button,--any size 
Color, shape, two holes or four, 
Mom saved it like some precious prize!!

She didn't leave a lot in worldly goods
Just sacks and boxes of buttons remain
From worn out shirts, and coats, and dresses,
Some are pretty, most, very plain.

Grandmas' buttons in a jar,
A simple legacy left for us.
I hope you'll cherish this symbol
Of a life well lived with little pomp or fuss.

by June Duncan Oberg

My mom has carried on the tradition of living within our means.  This has helped shape me in more ways than one.  First of all, I have learned that a simple life is a good life.  We don't need all the "pomp or fuss" to be happy.  Second, I have learned that it is important to be grateful for what you have.  This is a cultural norm of the past, but we need to keep it alive.  Third, these buttons and poem remind me of my future calling as a homemaker.  Today so many mothers are in the work place, but because of influence from my family culture, I feel that my role is in the home.  This artifact is very important in my cultural identity.

Next, this picture of Cokeville represents my cultural identity.  


My hometown plays a HUGE role in who I am today.  Part of my culture is the small-town life.  I love the open spaces, knowing every one's names, and the unity that is felt in my hometown.  I loved growing up swimming in the river, riding bikes, coming home when the street lights came on, and all the other small-town luxuries that I got to enjoy.  The feeling I get every time I pull into Cokeville is indescribable.  There's just something about going home.  I don't think I'll ever be able to shake the culture of this town.

My last artifact that represents my cultural identity is my Young Women's medallion.  


This medallion represents the values I have learned by striving to live the gospel of Jesus Christ.  The Young Women values are values I try to pattern my life by.  They are:

Faith
Divine Nature
Individual Worth
Knowledge
Choice and Accountability
Good Works
Integrity 
Virtue

To earn this medallion I had to do a lot of activities concerning these values that taught me more about the Savior and myself.  I learned perseverance.  I wasn't always consistent at keeping up with my Personal Progress, but just like the gospel, you don't have to be perfect at it.  Personal Progress is a process to help Young Women become closer to Christ.  That means sometimes we have to pick ourselves back up and get back on track.  This medallion is a symbol of my commitment to the gospel.  The temple reminds me of my goal to be sealed for eternity there.  The gospel and the principle of eternal families has been shaping my cultural identity from the day I was born, and I feel like this simple necklace represents that part of my identity.

While it is hard to chose only three artifacts that represent my cultural identity, I feel like my great-grandma's buttons accompanied by my grannie's poem, a picture of Cokeville, and my Young Women's medallion do a fairly good job.  




1 comment: