Monday, September 9, 2013

A Different School

Today I started an intro to Special Education class.  When I walked through the door at 2:00 I had no idea what I was getting into.  
We did normal first day things like syllabus, learning suite and a kajillion questions.  Then the teacher told us to take out our Book of Mormons.  Many iPhones were grabbed, computers, and other smart devices, but I was lucky enough to have my scriptures with me from my D&C class this morning (there's just something about that hard copy...).  She asked us to turn to 3 Nephi 17: 5-11.  I always thought that Jesus called the children first when he can the America's but it was the sick, the blind, the halt, and the leprous.  Those who tend to be the most Christlike (in my opinion).  Then he called the children.  We then watched this video showing the miracles Christ preformed. 


I can't describe the feeling that was in that room, but I know I was holding back the tears.  I feel so privileged to have the opportunity to gain an education to become an elementary teacher.  I feel blessed that I get to receive that education here, at BYU.  There are so many great schools out there that I would love, that could teach me how to be an awesome teacher and give me amazing experiences!  But in how many universities could I open my scriptures, read a passage out loud, and then watch a video about Christ to set the stage and the purpose of the class.  That is one thing I love about BYU.  It's different.

1 comment: