Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Two Best Classes...

...possibly of my entire life, ended today.  I was actually really sad.  First, Español ended.  I go to that class 5 days a week for an hour.  Because I spend so much time in there I really got to know these people and I really love them.  My teacher is so great too!  I have learned so much!  Way more than I could have hoped for.  Today as our teacher was saying good-bye she started to tear up.  I almost lost it!  I just might have to drop in on her class a few times next semester :)

Then Art ended.  I have learned so much about myself in this class.  It seems so silly, but I gained so much confidence in this class.  My teacher was amazing!  I hope I can be half the teacher she is someday.  I also got this back today.  I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty proud of it!  This started out as a flat slab of clay, and I shaped and molded it, fired it, glazed it, and fired it again, and I love how it turned out!


To finish off the class she showed us a clip from one of my favorite movies, Freedom Writers.  This show had a big impact on my decision to become a teacher.  The clip was when one of the students calls the classroom "home."  Then my teacher told us how our classrooms might be a home for some of these kids.  We aren't going to know what some of these kids live are like and what they're going through, and it might be the only place they feel safe.  Our job is to make school a positive environment where they can feel successful, especially through art.  It was a pretty emotional moment.  This class has had a huge impact on me!  

I'm so thankful for great classes like this!  How many students are truly sad when they leave a class?  I feel so blessed to be here at BYU and to have such amazing professors and to have the opportunity to meet and associate with such great people.  Everyday here is just another confirmation to my decision. 

2 comments:

  1. Wait... you sculpted that sun man? No help? With your bear hands? No mold? Original art work? Unbelievable! It's amazing! Good work Sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. art totally makes you get to know yourself better. not silly in the slightest.

    ReplyDelete