Thursday, January 21, 2016

An Afternoon on the Town

Yesterday afternoon Faith and I decided to do a little exploring!  We caught a petty-cab to Portal West, which is the west entrance to one of the four universities here, Silliman University.  From there we just walked south for a ways, taking in all the sights!

Lee's Market where we have bought groceries, clothes, and yummy smoothie drink things!


 Fruit, fruit, fruit!


Eventually we ran into the Cathedral.  We went inside and it is beautiful!  We didn't take much time in there as many people were in there praying.


Then, right next to the Cathedral is a bell tower/lookout tower that was built back when the Spaniards came in the mid 1700's.  It was used to see and warn the people of Moors coming to pillage the city.



Across the street we went inside of a sad little park.  It's actually the first park I had seen, and it's in pretty poor condition :(


Faith still enjoyed the swings for a minute and we had some fun on a teeter-totter.



Then we made our way down to the Boulevard!  It was Faith's first time!! (I go there almost every single day to exercise.)  We talked to some cute kids there that were just getting out of school.  She was loving just taking it all in!


I asked Faith what she wanted to do next.  She then asked me what I would do if I was alone.  I told her that I would probably go and find the local market.  So, we flagged down a petty-cab and headed to the public market!  We had so much fun and even made a few purchases!

We had some Cebuano lessons earlier in the day and so I decided to practice throughout the afternoon!  I greeted everyone with "Maayong japon!"  Which means "Good afternoon!"  The people were loving it!  After we'd walk by they'd be saying to all of their friends "Cebuana! Cebuana!" Haha  I would also greet the petty-cab drivers in Cebuano and tell them where I wanted to go and one even started talking back to me in Cebauno, and I had to quickly tell him that I actually didn't know hardly anything?! He continued to talk to us in English :)  I'm excited about learning Cebuano though because I'm kind of getting sick of not being able to communicate with everyone.  Up to this point I haven't even known how to greet them.  So, hopefully I'll be able to pick some of it up fast!

Anyways, to end the afternoon Faith and I caught a petty-cab ride back to Lasola Drive, our beloved home :)  What a great afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment