Sunday, January 10, 2016

The Separation

It's been a week and half since Tess left on her mission.  I'm not going to lie.  I've been a little bit lost.  She is definitely my best friend, number one fan, frustration outlet, comical relief, and partner in crime.  I'm going to be fine, it's just a little hard to adjust, ya know? 

                                               

The days before her leaving were pretty rough.  I probably cried more then than I have since.  It was tough watching her pack all of her things away, both the things she was leaving here as well as the things she was taking with her.  I was folding her clothes up to put in her suitcase, and I just couldn't stop the tears.  Pretty soon Mom, Tess, and I were all crying.  Then I cried each time she had to tell a family member goodbye.  I just felt so bad for her.  I know that she's confident that serving a mission is what she's supposed to do, but for someone who loves her family as much as Tessa does, it definitely wasn't an easy choice.  

On December 30th Mom, Dad, and I took her to the MTC where she'll start learning Spanish and get an idea of what she needs to know to be a successful missionary.  I was doing pretty good and keeping it all together until we went up by the temple to take a picture together.  Neither of us could keep it together, and we just hugged and cried.  We dropped her off and there were more tears, but as we were pulling out we saw her wiping her tears away and smiling and talking with the nice sister missionary who picked her up on the curb.  It made me feel better.  

Of course that night there were at least 3 funny memes or videos that I wanted to show here, but she wasn't here and I couldn't just message them to her.  So I wrote her a Dear Elder instead.  

The times I notice the most that she's not around is when I've found myself having to sit alone at the basketball or wrestling, when I hear funny jokes and want to tell her, when I accidentally say something stupid and no one gives me a hard time, ya know, sisterly things like that that Tess and I always did together.  

I've had a fun-filled week, but each time I was doing something I couldn't help but think how much fun Tessa would have doing it with us!  Jazz game, snowshoeing, skiing, watching Dad's girl's team, and playing with the nephews--she woulda loved doing them all!  But, she's doing a greater work.  She's preparing to teach people about TRUE HAPPINESS.  The kind you can't find at a Jazz game or on the ski hill.  She's going to go and teach people how they can be together with their families FOREVER.  She's going to teach them how they can return to live with their Heavenly Father and find true joy.  She's dedicating 18 months of her life to serve others.  I'm so proud of her.  

I'm not going to lie and tell you that there haven't been more tears since she left, but I am going to tell you that she's doing so great!  She's sent us some pictures and she just looks great.  Her letters are positive and happy.  She did tell me that she wishes that we could be companions (even though she loves her companion!) because we wouldn't have to be "nicy-nice" through the frustrating times and we'd just get work done!  haha.  I just love her.  
 
Tess and her companion, Sister Davidson




3 comments:

  1. I am crying! Titan keeps hugging me and giving me kisses and if he could say the words I am sure he would be saying cute things, too. I miss her, too! I can only imagine how much you miss her. But yes, she is doing the greatest work and will have so many amazing experiences! She is such a great example. Great post, Liv! I love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post! You summed up all my feelings as well. She will be a great missionary. Even as adults, sometimes it's hard to share. We love and will miss our Tessa girl! Mom

    ReplyDelete