Thursday, November 15, 2012

An Adventure

So, a week ago, I went on an adventure.  Where you might ask?  Salt Lake City.  K, so it's not that far from good ol' Provo, but it was definitely an adventure because I am carless and I had to take the bus...all by myself.  I  needed to go to Salt Lake to the Church History Library for some research for a paper in my International Church class.  The rest of my class went together one afternoon/evening, but I was at state volleyball.  
Everything went so smoothly on the way there.  I got on the right bus at the right time and went to the right place, switched onto the trax, and went downtown.  I just had done little problem, but nothing this smarty-pants couldn't figure out :)  So, I made it to the Church History Library with about an hour to spend there.  I met with a nice guy who I had previously talked to, and he had some suggestions for me.  He also told me that most people need at least 4 hours at the Library to really get any information.  Whoa, 4 hours?!  That's a lot of time!!  So, I got to work...
By the time 5 o'clock came around I had NO information, and my bus was going to leave.  So, I quickly told the nice couple missionaries thanks, and ran to the bus stop!  So, the reason for the trip was quite discouraging, because I didn't get any info, but I did learn how to get the things I needed.  The only problem was the only place to get them is at the Library in Salt Lake.  Needless to say, I left the Library a little frazzled.  I needed to find another time in the next week to go to Salt Lake which takes about 2 hours to get there, spend 4 hours at the library, and come back to Provo?!  Wowza!
So, I get to the bus stop and look at my itinerary.  It said the bus was bus 801 Provo/Orem Express and it was supposed to leave at 5:15.  So, it's 5:13, and a bus that says 803 Orem Express pulls up, and I panic!  What if this was my bus?!  I knew it wasn't the right number, but the name seemed right.  The main thing I was worried about was making it back to Provo.  I did NOT want to be stuck in Salt Lake.  So, I hopped on!  A couple stops later a guy sat by me that needed half of my seat too!  I've always wondered what it would be like to be that person on the airplane...haha.  Well I found out on this adventure!!  Let's just hope I've done my time :)
Anyways, it started getting close to the time my itinerary said I should be back to Provo, and I was not! We stopped at UVU, and my bus driver said this was the last stop.  So, he told me a bus would be there in about 2 minutes that could take me to University Avenue.  So, I got off and waited, and waited, and talked to a nice kid until his bus came, and waited some more...  Finally I asked two people if they were by chance going to Provo.  They said no, this was the northbound stop, and I needed to be at the southbound stop under the tunnel, and a little ways away.  So, I headed to the other stop.  The first bus that stopped was a winner!  The driver said he was going to University Ave!  Bless him!  So, he took me to my closest bus stop and explained some important facts about the bus system to me.  I thanked him as I got off the bus, walked right by my house, up the hill to the testing center and rocked my New Testament test!  The hours of studying on the bus paid off even if they did make me car-sick...
So, tomorrow I am going on an adventure again.  It's kinda the same because I'm going back to the Church History Library (yes for 4 hours!), but each adventure is different.  That's what's so great about them!  Maybe I should start looking at everyday as an adventure.  Let's just hope tomorrow's adventure doesn't hold as many surprises as the last one :)

1 comment:

  1. I don't know why, probably because I have only had to do this on vacation, but I LOVE riding public transportation! I think it's fun to try to figure out which bus you need and when, and the people-watching is FANTASTIC! (Probably more fantastic in D.C. and Long Beach than it is in SLC though.) Hope your adventure today goes well!

    ReplyDelete